This delicious recipe below was featured in the October cooking class, and lucky for you there are more exciting classes to come! Elaine Bryan has plenty of recipes to share. To find more delicious recipes click here (http://www.bodyandsoulnourishment.com/almond-feta-cheese-with-herb-oil.html)
Almond Feta Cheese with Herb Oil
Blanched almonds give this creamy crumbly cheese a rich texture. Unbaked, it will be smooth and spreadable. Baking will make it a bit more crumbly, like traditional feta cheese.
1 cup whole blanched almonds
¼ cup lemon juice
3 Tbs plus ¼ cup olive oil, divided
1 clove garlic, peeled
1-1/4 teaspoon salt
1 Tbs fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp fresh rosemary leaves
- Puree almonds, lemon juice, 3 Tbs oil, garlic, salt and ½ cup cold water in food processor 6 minutes, or until very smooth and creamy.
- Place large strainer over bowl and line with triple layer of cheesecloth. Spoon almond mixture into cheesecloth. Bring corners and sides of cloth together and twist around cheese, forming into orange size ball and squeezing to extract moisture. Secure with rubber band or kitchen twine. Chill 12 hours or overnight. Discard excess liquid.
- Preheat oven to 200. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Unwrap cheese (it will be soft), and transfer from cheesecloth to prepared baking sheet. Flatten to form 6 inch round about ¾ inch thick. Bake 40 minutes, or until top is slightly firm. Cool, then chill.
- (Cheese can be made up to this point 2 days ahead, keep refrigerated)
- Combine remaining ¼ cup oil, thyme, and rosemary in small saucepan.
Warm oil over medium-low heat 2 minutes, or until very hot but not simmering. Cool to room temperature. Drizzle herb oil over cheese just before serving.